Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Wheel weights

Sparky

So I finally got around to putting the 23x10.5's on 8.5" rims that I bought at the WH show on my tractor and found a use for all the extra depth of the rim. I have found that the cast iron fittings used for 5" cast iron pipe are the perfect size for "add-on" wheel weights. They even have the bolt pattern in them to match up with our 12" rims so no drilling is required and they fit nice and snug in the rim.

I have one disc on the inside of the rim and 2 discs on the outside with a standard cast iron wheel weight capping it off. My dad has a Bridgeport Milling machine and a lathe in his basement so I had him make the hole in one of the discs about a 1/4" bigger so it would fit over the axle hub. That disc is 13 pounds. Then the solid disc goes into the rim up against the lug bolts. It weighs in at 21 pounds. The disc with the smaller hole and the lip goes next with the lip facing out. It was 21 pounds also. Then the red weight goes in with the center hole of the red weight slipping over the lip of the weight behind it. The red ones are 46 pounds. The total comes out to 101 pounds on each rim! I dont want to use chains this winter on my newish paved driveway so this is my new battle plan. The best part is that they are flush with the rim and dont stick out at all.

So if you have access to any 5" cast iron fittings like these grab them. They are not cheap to buy new but my company installs this sort of stuff and if I ever see any used ones from a demo job I allways ask if I can have them.

Not trying to shove winter down anyones throat here :thumbs2: . Just thought I would share what I was up to tonight.

Mike.........

Weights001.jpg

Weights002.jpg

Weights004.jpg

Weights003-1.jpg

nylyon

202 lbs! Wow, now that sure beats the 55lbs plus the extra budweiser.jpg...

WHC-125

Very nice Mike! Shove winter down my throat anyday :thumbs2: Let it snow! Let it snow!

Coadster32

Good idea Mike. Weights on the inside of the rims, cool. Really now, who in their right mind would have a bpt. and a lathe in their basement anyhow?? :thumbs:

Bring on the snow!! :thumbs2:

WHC-125

Good idea Mike. Weights on the inside of the rims, cool. Really now, who in their right mind would have a bpt. and a lathe in their basement anyhow?? :thumbs:

Bring on the snow!! :thumbs2:

Chris, I wonder who that might be :ychain:

Rollerman

You'd think since the company I work for also does underground I'd be able to find these.

I was "tipped" off about this trick a few years back & have been keeping an eye out for some pipe caps at work in the yard.

No luck though, but your setup looks pretty slick Mike with the standard wheel weight to the outside even. :thumbs2:

Guess I'll have to look a little harder.....but the guys in the office might wonder what an asphalt guy is doing in the pipe yard. :thumbs:

MikesRJ

.....but the guys in the office might wonder what an asphalt guy is doing in the pipe yard. :thumbs:

Tell 'em you need more ballast weight for the roller...... :thumbs2:

W9JAB

:thumbs2: I have never used wheel weights but see a lot of them left on even during the mowing season. I would think that weights in general would be hard on the transmission, What are the other drawbacks with them? :thumbs:

kpinnc

I have never used wheel weights but see a lot of them left on even during the mowing season. I would think that weights in general would be hard on the transmission, What are the other drawbacks with them?

They won't float..... :thumbs::thumbs2:

Just kidding. Lots of people use them during mowing season as well. They help lower the center of gravity for mowing on inclines and such (help prevent rollovers), as well as reduce wheel spin.

And of course, they greatly improve traction for plowing and cultivating in the garden.

I would agree with you that it seems any added stress on the axles would wear the bearings faster, but I have no idea how much, or if it is even an issue.

Kevin

Sparky

Weights on the rim dont add any weight to the axles. All the extra weight is supported by the tires. Now adding a weight box off the rear of a tractor will load up the axles and its bearings which I suspect would shorten their life.

Mike..........

Coadster32

I agree with Mike. Wheel weights are supported by the tires. But, the engine and drive train have to work a little harder to get things going, and brakes have to work a little harder in stopping. But I guess if you weigh 200lbs, and a 300lbs guy drives the same tractor without a problem, the difference is where the weight is. A heavier person would load up the axles, and wheel weights won't. However, it you are going across a grade, there's more side load pressure on the axles because of the weight. I'll stop here, as I don't want to get to involved. :thumbs2: