Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Electric Sleeve Hitch

MaineDad

Guys,

On my old Craftsman, I purchased and installed an Electric Sleeve Hitch from Johhny Products, maker of the Johnny Bucket. I loved it! It worked great. So now I'm thinking about getting one for the 314-8. But the problem is I'm not sure if it will fit up to the back like the one did for the Craftsman. Here's a link to the one I'm considering. It's their "Universal One".

http://www.johnnyproducts.com/J_Bucket_HTM...leeve_Hitch.htm

What do you guys think? Johne Steele from Johnny Products does not have a WH user that he knows of that has one.

Thanks...

kj4kicks

It doesn't look like there's an "easy" way to mount that to a WH. If you had the underseat tool box, maybe. But even then, I wouldn't mount it to the box. If you try to go to the frame, I think your drive belt would be in the way.

Maybe you could be their "test pilot" and figure out how to make it work, at a discount of course!

Nick

If you dont need the hitch to be solid you could just add an electric lift to the 314-8 similar to the optional Wheel Horse system. The rear clevis hitch would still be lifted by the cable though so it would not be held in place like the solid mounted johnny hitch. But you would have electric lift on the mid attachments also.

Nick in Ohio

I see Terry listed the part number this is the drawing for 84223

11R10001.gif

• Like 1

TT

84223 is one OEM # for the electric lift. Have a look at it at the Toro MPV and see how it was set up. :thumbs:

It would also be nice to see one mounted on a tractor though.

Rollerman

Micah I bought my 416 8 speed with a Johhny dump on it that hooks to the clevis hitch.

It uses an electric driven HYD pump to run the stock Wheel Horse HYD cylinder & related parts.

These 12volt pumps can be had a RV wholesalers with a little looking.

You can see it just ahead of the steering gear & behind the engine.

DSCF0003-1.jpg

pond195520032003

Micah, that hitch wont work on your tractor without alot of modifications! :thumbs: the wheel horse body is alot narrower than the craftsman, and i wouldent recomend buying that hitch at the price they charge to find out you cant use it :D someone has to have one somewhere :P:P Nick, the drawing you posted, i have an NOS bracket Part No. 11! :thumbs: dont need it :DPicture002-1.jpg

MaineDad

Thanks guys. What I really want to do is to be able to add down pressure. I appreciate the input.

nylyon

To borrow a term from Ian, I wonder if you could fabricate some sort of thingy which could triangulate the hitch pin and perhaps a rear axle hitch. This thingy could have vertical supports as well as a bracket for the Johnny hitch?

kpinnc

Micah,

Your 314-8 has quite a bit of room under the seat and fuel tank. Combined with the large area under the shifter quadrant, you've got tons of room to come up with something. You could use an electric actuator seperately from your mid lift, just for the back. There is plenty of room back there for something like that, if you mounted an actuator horizontally. You'd have push and pull power for lift and down pressure that way. Just depends on how much fabrication you want to put into it.

The electric (sometimes called linear) actuators that would have the power to lift an implement are definately out there. You'd just have to figure what stroke you'd need. And I have never fully understood the power rating on those things. They have static and dynamic load ratings on some, and an "n" rating on others. You'll need to figure out what works best for your application.

May take some research and fab work, but it can certainly be done!

Kevin

Nick

Micah,

I was afraid you might be looking for down pressure. If it doesnt bother you to cut on and modify a $500 piece of equipment I'm sure it could be made to fit your Wheel Horse one way or another.

Like Kevin I dont know what the ratings mean but Surplus center sells an actuator that has a 5" stroke and is rated 250 pound dynamic and 1,000 pounds static. Price on it is $100 and it kind of even looks like the johnny products actuator. :thumbs: I assume you could just buy or build a Wheel horse style clevis hitch then find a way to attach the actuator to it. Surplus Center actuator

Nick in Ohio

I did some looking around and Dynamic load is what the actuator can move, static is what it can hold with the power off. :thumbs: This larg PDF has a lot of information on actuators. Linear Actuator PDF page

Rollerman

Micah just a thought...I had seen a setup on a 310 8 speed once a tractor show where a guy had a "York Rake" on a clevis hitch.

Lifting was done with an electric acuator that was bolted to a bracket on the fixed end under the fender where the "lift" assembly from Wheel Horse was & the moveing end was bolted to a home made clevis style hitch.

It's been a long time ago when I was just starting on the Wheel Horse craze.

Like Kevin said there is a large open area unused under the fender.

07R10022.gif

Nick

I was just looking for 3 point hitch ideas and found this site. Another design for an electric lift. JD electric lift

Nick in Ohio

Still looking for 3pt parts and came to the Johnny site again. I didnt notice before that they have replacment linear actuators for sale by themselves. The load ratings he shows are 600 and 1200 pounds. If thats the dynamic load then the surplus center actuator I had found might be under powered. His $209 price might not be bad at that weight rating.