Sign in to follow this  
wesley

Gearbox

wesley

Hi all well the gearbox for my raider 10 came today and am very happy , all seems fine with it , just need to replace a couple of oil seals and paint it, so now its time to strip the whole tractor will worry about the front wheels when l get there, and will also rebuild the gearbox that l take off at a later date, maybe by then another wheelhorse raider will find its way home , oh l hope, and just to say you have been great the way you have made me fell welcome. also is it still possable to get hold of the rubber boot that fits round the gear stick, have two boxes now and on both of them the rubber boot as l call it are in a poor way.

regards wes

Stigian

Evening Wes, good new about your gearbox :thumbs:

Im not sure if the gearstick boots are available in the UK :thumbs:

Ive been thinking of a bit of bike inner tube and a couple of zip ties to reboot my box :D

The big question is.....................

When are we going to see some photo's of your Raider :P:D

Oh, did you see Jim's (Mith) post about the front whels your looking for?

BPjunk

Hi Wes,

Make sure you check the oil in this new transmission, if therubber boot was bad it may have water in it. I would flush the new transmission out out with a combination of a stright weight oil and diesel fuel after the transmission is installed and you can drive the tractor around with the mixture of oil and diesel fuel (drive for only a few minutes with this mixture in the transmission).

You should be able to find a 3577 shifter boot even on your side of the pond! :thumbs:

Bill in Richmond, Va.

wesley

Hi bill yes will will drain out old oil anyway as l want to change the sharft oil seals , and then yes will take your advice and re fill box with that you have told me thanks,yes lan got post about the wheels and am in contact, pictures are on my do list and will try and get them posted monday night, wish l had started playing with wheelhorses ages ago am loving it.

wes

Stigian

Posted for Wes.

Your ol Raider looks quite clean :thumbs:

wheelhorse016.jpg

wesley

Thanks for posting that lan, will send more as l take the tractor apart and start the rebuild, and yes its not in that bad a condition really just the front wheels that have the rust and a few dents etc , never mind it will be like yours when finnished .

wes

Kelly

Wes, Is your raider only a 4 speed :thumbs: ? I only see 1 shifter and it looks like a shift decal for a 4 speed. I have 2 1970 raider's and both are 6 speeds. Maybe I missed the other shifter in the pic. and yes you have a nice tractor to start with. keep us posted :thumbs: .

Stigian

Whats the numbers on the id plate Wes?

My Raider is a 74 with a 8 speed box

TT

Some of the tractors built and/or sold out of the USA are different than the ones that were built/sold here.

1-0393 is listed as a 1974 Raider 10 4 speed. (it does show it having a 6 speed in the IPL though :thumbs::thumbs: )

In the US, 1974 was the beginning of the C series, so it's my guess that 1-0393 is a non-USA model. (notice the different looking decal on the "tank tray" of Wes's Raider)

Here's a non-USA 706:

9b6e6f91.jpg

Kelly

Buzz my tractor's are both 1-6051 1970 raider 10's and have 6 speeds.

Yes, I saw the decal on the tank tray, makes me think of the no name year 73? the style letters, and his has a front tach a mattic. Just my two cents worth.

Freezzzzing my but off out in the garage Kelly. We need a cold Smilie!!!

WheelHorse_of_course

Speaking of gear boxes...

On my 854 the gear shift jams frequently. I have now gotten rather good at unjamming it and only rarely need to remove the shifter to get it unjammed.

I replaced the shifter pivot pin and while that tightened things up, it had little effect on the jamming.

Is this something that a new shifter would solve (in which case I may fix it), or is this due to wear elsewhere (in which case it is going to wait till it gets worse)?

Thanks folks

TT

Maybe the end of the shifter is worn out where it goes in to the shift rails. :thumbs:

If it is, try to find a better shifter, or build (weld) the end of your current one up a little.

There may also be detent spring/ball issues in the transaxle.

wesley

Hi l will get the numbers of the tractor in the morning and post them up, will be intrested what the experts say, the gearbox has 3 forward and a reverse so l take it thats a 3 speeder , and while chating to a chap the other day he said wheelhorse tractors for the uk were in fact put together in europe? so dont no.

wes

Mith

In Belgium I believe, thats where my Commando is from.

Nice looking machine Wes, nice condition.

CasualObserver

Yep, Belgium. According to "the book" Wheel Horse opened a plant there in the late 60s. Around the same time they bought the snowmobile factory in Des Moines, Iowa and some airplane company or small airline or something like that. (If I remember right... been a while since I read the book!)

wesley

Hi all heres the details of my tractor , yep mith was right it was made in Belgium.

Engine K241s

spec 46636d

Model 1-0310

ser 127477

B-24310 OEVEL

BELGIUM

So l think she was made in 1977?

and when l can afford it l want another wheelhorse, but shhhhhhhhhh dont tell her in doors lol.

wes

Stigian

Just looked up your model code on the toro master parts viewer Wes,

It says 1971 Raider 12. It also says it has a 8 speed trans :thumbs:

Then again it shows my Raider 1-0393 is listed as a 1974 Raider 10 4 speed and its an 8 :thumbs:

Must be a european thing :D

TT

There HAS to be a different model number translation chart for the "European" models. Apparently there's quite a difference. :thumbs:

wesley

Well had the drain plug out of the gearbox today, as l wanted to get the drive pully off , so l can take it to lans in the morning, as hes get one that needs mending , any way yes there was a lot of water in there, due to the rubber boot not being there, will pop out the oil seals and se what size are marked on the backs of them so l can order new ones from seal firm that are not far from me, and always comes up with a good price.

wes

Stigian

What colour was the water that came out the trans Wes?

When i drained the water out of my Raider trans it came out clear, making me think it hadnt been in there long :thumbs:

wesley

Well the water was not nice , so think it has been in a while, but it has been standing a long time , but an not happy now , got the seals out today , so l could order some new ones but one side when the seal came out , so did a load of needles came out to from the bearing , so dam where l was thinking of a re seal and paint , now will have to be a complete box strip, oh joyyyyyyyyyy just my luck, so will start on that thursday.

wes

wesley

HI all well opened door and looked at gear box , am still mad with it , will be ok in morning l hope and make a start stripping it , sooner its done the sooner l can get on with the rest of the tractor.

wes

Stigian

It sounds like youve had one of "those sort of days", Wes.

Your soon get back into it with a fresh start in the morning :thumbs:

Think of it, a few hours in your workshop with all those wonderful tools to play with :P:thumbs:

Are you going to post photo's of the trans rebuild?

It would be interesting to see whats involved should i ever pluck up the courage to have a look at mine :D

wesley

Grrrrrrrrrrr yep the gearbox is still fighting me, it came with the tow hitch still on it , and yes the pin holding it , that goes through the box is well and truly rusted in there, so have cut of the hitch off and will now have to drill the pin out , hope this box dont fight me right through the build, and to think l was trying to give up the smokes lol .

wes