Sign in to follow this  
pharmer

Kohler Magnum 20

pharmer

A friend of mine has a Toro lx460 with a Magnum 20 vertical engine that is 3 yrs young. It has a crack in the block about 3" long and oil seeps out. When he first purchased the mower within the first month he noticed oil on the frame. He called Home Cheapo and they came and took it back. About a month later they returned it and said it was fixed, but could not tell him what they found or what they did to fix it. It was probably a poor casting or cracked during assembly and became worse over the next couple of years. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Could he have it welded without having to tear it down? It is in plain view. Should he send this one to scrap pile and buy a non MTD built mower? Any toughts would be a help.Thanks

Don1977

Find a good welder that can weld Aluminum, it can be fixed. It may have to be disassembled, at least have the oil drained. I had an aluminum block with the corner mounting tap broken off into the oil pan and had it welded. I had to remove the side cover. I payed 40 dollars to get my V Twin Briggs welded.

wallfish

You could use JB Weld to seal it. It says right on the package that it can be used to seal cracked engine blocks.

J-B Weld

You can buy it at Home Depot

I agree that having it welded would be a better solution but .....

big mike

It would have to be taken down and the case cleaned to be welded otherwise the oil will contaminate the weld.I would want something in wrting that Home Depot did ANYTHING(because I doubt they did) in case it gets worse and the case/motor has to be replaced.