munsonRN

Mulching?

munsonRN

Ok...I wasn't sure how to search for this.....so here goes.

I have a 42" RD deck. I can't find actual mulching blades for it anywhere. SO, I read somewhere...and I can't seem to find where again...BUT...

Someone said to put 2 blades on each spindle...perpendicular to each other. Is this even feasible? Seems like it would not be a good idea to me. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

I'm just looking for a better mulch with the deck.

Thanks everyone?

GlenPettit

That is exactly what I did on my 42" RD (& 48"SD), two blades on each spindle; gives finer cuts and better throw, I can't think of a single disadvantage to it. The upper blades are 'Gator" or "commercial" (also called Mulching) blades, just enough threads to hold both on the spindle.

munsonRN

Where did you find the actual gator blades for this? I can only find "regular" replacements. Thanks

nylyon

I have a 42" RD deck. I can't find actual mulching blades for it anywhere. SO, I read somewhere...and I can't seem to find where again...BUT...

Are you talking about the recycler attachment for the deck, or an aftermarket mulching blade? I bought a new set of "Recycler" blades just last year for my 42" Recycler, they are still available.

munsonRN

Honestly, either way. I was originally asking for mulching blades like gator blades and i thought that would help, but ......

I'm open to any suggestions as to how to make the deck mulch better.

Thanks for the help

MikesRJ
Where did you find the actual gator blades for this? I can only find "regular" replacements.

munsonRN

Any other thoughts....

I sent in the request to gator blades and this is straight from the "horses" mouth.

Chris,

Sorry, we do not offer a Gator blade for this tractor. Thank you for

your interest. gatorblade.com

:thumbs2:

GlenPettit

Chris:

They are still available, even your local NAPA dealer (or any small engine repair) can get them. they all have the cross reference.

Try: http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Gator-Blades/...ator-Blades.asp

or even less at www.CMsmallengines.net (#90-643 for $18.43).

You have to factor in shipping, it's often less to order them local and have them come in on the store'sregular weekly delivery so you don't have to pay the extra high $10

gwgdog66

Chris,

I came in late on this topic, and you may have found your answer already. I have seen this discussed somewhere on this forum in the past. :thumbs2:

I don't know what the length difference between your 42" RD Blades PN 106635, and my 42" SD Blades PN 106636 are.

But, Gator does make blades to replace my 42" SD Set 106636, it is Gator Part# 90643, 13 27/32" length, with the 3/4" center bolt hole.

I have a 42" RD deck that needs to be rebuilt, (I never used it) and it has gator blades on it.

I'm out of town right now working. I'll measure the ones on the 42" RD mower when I get back home, and see what they measure out at. This 42" RD deck may have had the Gator 42" SD blades on it.

munsonRN

Everything that I have read so far says that they are different blades. Those measurements confirm it. The blades for the RD deck are 14 1/2 inches long.

Hmmmm.....

Are there any other thoughts/suggestions? Short of buying a new deck?