Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bullington

Wheel Horse Painting

Michael Bullington

I have recently aquired a restored 655 and i have to say it has me thinking about the way I want to paint my future tractors. Just when i thought i had a good system down, But at this point im still not sure so please send me your input on this subject.

This tractor is painted with all the bolts or 90% the same color of the tractor ...and when it is sitting side by side with my 654 which has ever bolt brand new unpainted (natural bolt color) I think the 655 really looks more stock or original. Yes it is not as flashly as the 654 but im not sure thats the look that im after.

Just throwing out ideals what sequence and assembly do you think wheel horse did their painting,(engine attached, sheet metal etc) now im sure through the years it changed but the era im looking for is tractors pre 70 ,,Whats your thoughts??? And which restoration method do you like best new bolts or painted?

The new tractor is painted a different color than my IH red also. I dont know what color it is because the owner passed away, but it really makes my IH red look really red...Almost to RED..if that is possible.....Now im thinking of trying some regal or toro red on some test pieces to see what looks the best,,,maybe even the PPG paint that has been mentioned on here...If anyone know the codes please post...

This tractor has confused me!! :thumbs2:

But it is sharp! I'll post it in the gallary when i get my camara batteries charged :thumbs:

TT

This photo might help you tremendously, Michael:

whpaintline.jpg

I do know that the engine manufacturers supplied engine assemblies that were completely painted and ready to bolt on and hook up.

HorseFixer

I Painted the RJ-56 With PPG Shopline Urethane and then Topped with clear

the color is International Harvester Red IH-2150---71310. I looked at alot of tractors at the show and it looks okay to me and think I will stay with it. I did

mine with SS hardware? And think I will do the 701 that way? :thumbs2: I think the bolts & tractor would look more original with bolts painted, but I think all and all the tractor looks better with the SS bolts just my opinion.

buckrancher

,,,maybe even the PPG paint that has been mentioned on here...If anyone know the codes please post...

The auto paint store in my town they had wheel horse red listed in

the computer in ppg paints

:thumbs2:

Duff

I've gone to using SS hardware and leaving it natural, both because it looks nice and because if you need to take off a nut or bolt, you don't have to worry about dinging the paint (on the hardware, that is!).........

JMHO......

Duff :thumbs2:

stevebo

i did my 520 using all grade 8 hardened bolts. not fo the strength rather the look

Lane Ranger

We have used a lot of grade eight bolts (from Tractor Supply Company) but we have also used a lot of stainless steel bolts on or 1054 rebuilds. One of the other things we have done on a couple tractors is add the hex bolt caps.

The hex bolt cap is a placstic cap for 3/8 or 7/16 hex bolts that snaps on top and can be removed with a good staight edge or knife blade.

The chome finish pops out at you. I have used on shifter plates, belt covers and some hood bolts. Pro-Deck Products in Stafford, Texas makes them and sells them on line.

http://www.pro-dec.com/decorative-screw-ca...aps-bolt-covers

Home | Snap-Caps