Sign in to follow this  
Doubletrouble

tranny oil, what to use??

Doubletrouble

I have a '71 work horse 3-speed. I would like to change the tranny oil but the manual has me confused ( i have the original man. to the tractor) It calls for "SAE 140 A.P.I. Service gl-5 or WH part #100193" I'm not sure what this is. I don't remember seeing a 140 weight oil. Would 90W gear oil due or ??? Any help would be apreciated. Thanks

TJ

I use 80/90 W in my 310 and 654. Works great for me. :thumbs2:

tgranthamfd

If you want a good synthetic gear oil that is not to teribly expensive Royal Purple has a Max-Gear High Performance Gear Oil in 75W-90 and, I think, a 85w-120. Both will be GL-4 and GL-5 approved. I have changed to the SAE 75W-90 in the final drive, on my bike, and after a 15 mile ride to work, I can touch the housing and not burn myself, unlike before. The heat reduction is awesome. My brother changed his C-160 over to this gear oil, as will I after I go through the tranny, on my Suburban 400. It also has great water seperation characteristics. :thumbs2:

Docwheelhorse

80-90 is fine, these tranis do see stress but don't get much of any heat buildup. The way I look at it is--if the hydro Uni Drives can live on ATF and 10/40 then 80-90 should be way more than adequate!

Tony

Doubletrouble

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll stick with the standard 80/90W oil. Synthetic would be in order if I were planning on do some heavy work like plowing or pulling heavy objects but for what I will be doing I think I'll be fine with a petroleum base oil. Thanks again all.

Doubletrouble

I checked the rear end oil today and as soon as I puuled the plug out the oil started running out the top of the hole for the plug. Can being over filled cause any damage? The oil looked dirty but not as bad as I expected. I'll be changing it soon.

tgranthamfd

Hey Doubletrouble, on my brother's 75 C-160, he got the amount that the manual called for and it came out the oil check hole before he got the called for amount put in, he went ahead and put the rest down the dipstick tube, it showed a little over. He drove it around some and checked it again, it was right on, then. Hope this helps.

Doubletrouble

I don't think there is a dipstick on mine ( unless I missed it ). I think my manual says to fill to the top of the filler hole and that's it. I'll check the manual again before I change it. Thanks