Sign in to follow this  
N.C. horserider

Tie rod question

N.C. horserider

Just put on a set of tie rods on commando 800. Problem is the front wheels are not straight wheels track like this \ / Looks like they are 1/2 short. The only rod that came with it was 9 5/8" end to end. I don't know if there is a different size it should take or something I may have done wrong the only info I got from Toro site was part #102592 + 3 but no measurement. :thumbs2:

Buzz

Mike are you saying you ordered and installed part # 102590? That's what the manual calls for. Are they installed correctly as per the parts breakdown:

5347004A.jpg

N.C. horserider

Didn't oder them just looked up the part number at Toro. But yes they bolted right in and seemed to work allright turning the wheel just the alignment is off. I'm kind of stumped.

Attached Image

post-3-1247709024.jpg

here 4 the horses

dont mean to jake this thread, but im haveing the same problam on the 653 i bought the wheels are toeing in / \ im lost i dont understand it..help

N.C. horserider

PROBLEM SOLVED, switched the left to the right side and vice versa and the tires lined right up. Noticed that the other way the rods connected thru the back of the steering block instead of the front. :thumbs: :thumbs2:

Duff

I had this tacked on to an older thread with no replies, so here may be a better place to bring it up since it's on point with what's being talked about.....

A couple of nights ago I was test-fitting new aftermarket adjustable tie rods on my 312-8 rebuild and couldn't get enough length to provide anything even close to "toe in". In fact, I couldn't even get the wheels to run parallel - they splayed outward because the tie rods were too short. Thinking I had bum rods I grabbed a used set of OEM rods and tried those - same problem. :thumbs2: Oh - I had the studs oriented exactly as shown in the IPL's, too.

Now, this tractor has replacement spindles from a C-series, so I thought maybe the front end geometry had changed between the C's and the 300's. So I found the original 312 spindles and put them back on just to see if this was the case. Same problem - wheels still splayed out.

My question to the group: is this a common problem when switching parts between C and 300/400 series tractors, and if not, what am I missing here? I know we're not running road speeds (well-most of us, anyway....) so the toe-in adjustment isn't anything critical, but in terms of potential tire wear (Greg Parnell's new machine?) and just plain common sense it would seem the wheels should at least run parallel. Any ideas, guys?

I'm one step away from fabbing my own tie rods (thank you, McMaster-Carr!), but if I'm simply missing something obvious, I sure would like to become enlightened!

Thanks for any replies!

Duff :thumbs:

Sparky

PROBLEM SOLVED, switched the left to the right side and vice versa and the tires lined right up. Noticed that the other way the rods connected thru the back of the steering block instead of the front. :thumbs::thumbs2:

Duff? Did you see this part of the thread? Maybe thats yer problem.

Mike........

Duff

Duff? Did you see this part of the thread? Maybe thats yer problem.

Mike........

Yeah, I did, so I went out to the shop last night and switched them around. Still too short. So I bit the bullet and ordered the materials from McMaster Carr to fab up my own. Perhaps it will always be a mystery, but at least I'll have some toe-in on my tractor!

Thanks, Sparky!

Duff :thumbs:

oldandred

Now this is why I take a picture of any thing I pull down

:thumbs2: :thumbs:

gwgdog66

I need new ones on my 75 C-160. It is starting to look like \ / also. I got a pair of Stens aftermarket replacements. They are adjustable on then end where my old factory ones are't. I'll try and get them put on theis weekend and post some pictures.