Sign in to follow this  
JonW

Shear key

JonW

I pulled my spindles apart the other day to clean and grease them because the deck was pretty noisy.

I dont think they were ever greased......

The bearings should be replaced, but I cleaned and packed them figuring this winter I can rebuild it.

Anyways.. I was looking at the Toro parts exploded view of the deck and noticed the shear keys that hold the pulleys to the shaft. I swear I didn't see any on my deck.

Without pulling them off again, is it possible mine didnt come with shear keys? I dont even remember seeing a key way in the pulleys or a key way in the spindle shafts. The diagram shows keys ( #23)

If they did I bet thats the loud noise I am hearing. But the blades do spin and it cuts real nice. New blades last week.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-4-1247658533.gif

porkchop

I,m looking forward for someone that knows more about this then me to answer this. I can tell you I

have taken several different ones apart and they all had keys. However I do have one now that appears to be press fit with lock washers on top of the pulleys. I have not been able to get them apart yet their soaking in aerokroil now but they have no key slot in the pulley. This deck looks like any other 70,s or 80,s 42" deck.

kpinnc

For whatever reason, WH used several different spindle types over the years, and I've seen two decks with the same part number and same year of manufacture with different spindles.

Most any dealer will have a "spindle type" chart on the books. I'm not sure whether this is an available document at Toro.com or not, but it is most helpful when looking for parts. It is one of the things I wish I'd tried to get when my local dealer closed up shop a couple years ago.

The only spindles I remember (only because we had a tough time finding the parts) are the ones listed as "J type". They are cast iron- used on a 42 or 48 inch deck, with the bottom of the shaft threaded to accept a 3/8 bolt. The outside of the shaft is the double D top and bottom.

Good luck

Kevin

Don1977

There are three different types the 3/4" with two flats on top and bottom. My 1977 C-120 came with these. I bough a replacement up grade that had keyed pulleys and replaced a few because the keys wallowed out. The last replacement spindles don't have keys they have a lock washer and 5/8" nut on top that locks the pulley in place.

the bearings they use are the same as old model Chevy. alternator bearings. (Bearing No. 6203-2RS) The last time I changed the bearings I went to three different Parts Stores to find enough bearings to fix my deck. :thumbs2:

JonW

Thank you Don! Pretty inexpensive.

:thumbs2: :thumbs:

porkchop

I did get one of the pulleys off and they did not have keyways. They had the lockwasher on top and I,m going to have to get a puller to get the other 2 off.

JonW

Whats the difference between these and the ones from Grainger?

Bearing