Sign in to follow this  
pbradley68

40 year old Wheel Horse Virgin

pbradley68

I bought my first Wheel Horse Riding mower yesterday. It's a 310-8 ID Number 21-10K804 23490 with a 10Hp Kohler (1987 I believe). It turns over fine but no spark. I pulled off the cover and found a mouse nest. After a little blasting with the air gun a dead dried mouse flew out LOL It looks like the mouse chewed away a couple inches of the spark plug wire near the coil. The previous owner had bought it new and used it to mow about an acre of almost perfectly flat lawn. The deck has some rot but that shouldn't be that hard to repair and once the coil is replace it should run since it was used yearly up until last year when the hole in the deck occurred. I paid $200, was it worth it? I think so but feel free to Opine.

Photo's.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/pauljbradley/WheelHorse#

Paul

JimD

it sure looks like it's worth 200 bucks to me! with a little work, you'll have a dandy of a tractor there. keep us posted on your progress getting it to run. are you going to restore it? looks like a great candidate for it. best of luck. and by the way, :thumbs2:

Docwheelhorse

:thumbs2: Tractor looks good.... Did the mouse eat the headlight bulbs and thats what killed him??? :thumbs:

Tony

Duff

Hi, Paul, and :thumbs: !

You've got yourself a good machine there! The mice sure do love to nest under the sheet metal of motors. I've de-nested my 312-8 a couple of times in cold weather. Finally took to using Bounce dryer sheets stuffed in around the covers when I put it away (and after the motor cooled!). That stopped the mouse problem!

That machine should restore/rebuild very nicely - parts are readily available both OEM and from folks here or on eBay.

Keep us posted, and keep the pictures coming!

BTW - where are you from?

Duff :thumbs2:

grimmnar

That's the same model I have just been lucky enough to get from my Dad.

I've mowed with it 4 times now in the past month, and it's quite the machine, I'm sure you'll love it once you get all those mice out :thumbs2: !

Welcome to the boards !

Wilsonrl48747

:thumbs2: Nice, you can't go wrong for $200. You could part that thing out and get your money back easily so worst case scenario, you got a deal. I hope you enjoy it.

bo dawg

:thumbs2:

Real good deal you got there, with a little work you'll have a fine tractor.

Enjoy!

qd-16

The 10 kohler is a strong motor, don't underestimate it. I run a 42" snowblower on my 310 and it works good! :thumbs2:

truckin88

nice machine, I would just change all fluids, grease all the points, bearing grease the pto pulley, check belts, if worn replace them, new sparks, take the rest from there.

sodbuster

:thumbs2: You will find,once you catch horse fever it never goes away!!

pbradley68

my new coil is on its way.......

OMG, I gotta stop looking at Craigslist, I hope the new coil arrives soon before I buy another. I've been scoping out a D200 and and 520HC LOL

My motto is "why buy one when you can get two at twice the price" LOL

http://wad20.wantaddigest.com/dealer/class...ACTOR&category=

redstallion3201

It was definitely worth 200. I too bought a 310-8 about 2 years ago from a local church which used it to mow their cemetery. The deck was no good at all but all the paint on the tractor looked like new cuz they kept it inside. I was told to come look at it so i did. When i got there i was surprised to see the condition of it. The guy told me to offer him a price. I told him hows 200 sound he said good so i paid him loaded it on the truck and home we went. It is now one of my pullers. I pulled the 10 horse magnum off and put a bored out 16 on it . So i think you did excelllent.

bitten

I also think you did good.

Red Iron

Great deal! Mice in stables are common, unless you get a cat!

pbradley68

Update:

New coil came and that gave me spark but the carb was gummed up and the fuel line was shedding rubber like a snake sheds its skin. After I cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel line and flushed out the old gas in the tank it started right up with no smoke at all. I tested it out on my gravel driveway with a small York Rake with optional bade and it worked very well. No problems with the gears and it ran smooth some minor carb adjustments. The 10Hp Kohler is much more powerful than I expected. I popped the clutch accidentally in 3rd and the front wheels came off the ground (definite torque monster). Aside from my neighbors cat taking a crap on the seat (and my girlfriend sitting in it by accident LOL) the initial repairs went well. Next step is to fix the mower deck which has some major sheet metal issues. I wasn't really planning on mowing with it so that will be a side project for now OR I'll try to pick up another deck (and maybe another tractor or two) if I can find one reasonably close.

d180man

Hi :ychain: nice tractor and fine! :thumbs2: :thumbs:

whfan74

:ychain:

Sounds like you have yourself a real gem. I am sure all of us have been in the same boat in popping out that clutch too fast on accident...........oh heck some have done it on purpose. :thumbs2:

Glad that you didn't have a huge repair and now you can start playing around on it as you go along.

You have now officially been bitten by the bug......enjoy the ride! :thumbs:

bustedglass

SO did you buy the D200 ?????

I picked up a 1988 414-8, kinda in the same shape. Most ALL of the wires are missing :thumbs: . I bought a wireing harness on eBay for a 314-8. I will have to see if it fits my tractor. I also need a carb, and a few other goodies b/4 I can attempt to start it :ychain: .

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted :thumbs2: .

TJ

:thumbs:

Jump on that B80. :thumbs2:

TJ

oops. :thumbs2:

can whlvr

that sure looks like a good deal for 125 bucks,hope you get it.

Doubletrouble

You'll come to love your horse. I know I did. I look forward to mowing the lawn now, it used to be just something else I had to do but now so much more fun !!

pbradley68

I bought another one for $75 :thumbs2: that was painted green and is VERY bare bones. The model is 1-0120 8 and serial is 919916. From that I can tell it's a 1973 8 hp 4 Speed Kohler K181S-30461D8. It runs, no muffler, and there's a small piece of straight and 90 degree plumbing pipe where the muffler should be AND it drove up on to the trailer without any assistance LOL.

(last 3 photos)

http://picasaweb.google.com/pauljbradley/WheelHorse#