Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Bad day

bo dawg

Well it's a bad day for me today, and as bad as I like to share it I'm going to. I took the 68 Charger 9 auto out to enjoy a ride around after I've been working on it to get everything operable. I don't know much about the tractor as far as what it can do. The 10hp Tecumseh is running very well with just a bump of the key to start. Rear end is great on it, it's a wheelie popping tractor for sure.

Well I had this bright idea to try out the rear end and see how strong it was, with already knowing it can do wheelies, decided to run up the embankment out back that go's up to the highway which is steeper and taller than I imagined after you actually get on it. Yep, you guessed it, up came the front end and flipped straight over. :ROTF: I landed on my back while pushing and rolling away from the tractor to keep it from landing on me.

I messed up the hood, lift lever, bent the steering wheel, and now the front wheels toe out a bit (both wheels are turned out opposite) :thumbs2: It landed with the steering turned all the way left some how, battery was hanging by the cables. At this point that's all I see.

I've already beaten myself up over it even though the fall wasn't enough. I think I'm going to be sore in the morning, I'm already stiffing up now. I'm so STUPID... I don't know why I thought I could try it, man I know better than that!!

Never would of done it any other time.... why now? :thumbs:

And then I look at the tractor everything on it was straight, no bad dings or dents, nice driver too, and now look at it. Now my wife is mad at me for doing it, of course she don't care about the tractor.

Well guy's tell me what to expect with the tractor now. I noticed oil had leaked out from some where on the engine while it was upside down, I didn't try to start it or nothing. Figure I would let everything settle down, so I towed it back to the garage and took the hood off and looked at it :ychain: And now I'm here telling all of you. So any one have an extra hood? I don't think it can be straightened out.

Here it is, probably not as bad as it sounds, but pretty bad to me.

DSC01602.jpg

DSC01603.jpg

DSC01604.jpg

DSC01605.jpg

DSC01606.jpg

whfan74

Bo let's not forget the most important thing...........you are in one piece and able to get on here and share your unfortunate activity.

I know the tractors are very dear to your heart, as they are to the rest of us. But the cool thing is the tractors can be fixed relatively easy. Now for us........sometimes we aren't so lucky.

My recommendation, don't head out to the garage anymore tonight. Sit back and try to clear your mind as much as possible. Head back out tomorrow or in the next day or two and then approach it. It won't seem so upsetting after you have had a chance to let the nerves settle down a bit.

Take some Advil tonight and try to sit back and relax. We are all glad that you are in one piece! :thumbs2:

Suburban 550

Tough one to swallow, Bo dawg. I know I would be sick over it. The tractor can always be fixed, but at least you're in one piece. :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

Bo Dog Well at least yer not hurt! :thumbs2: As for the Tractor.... I Dunno... :thumbs: depends on the frame of mind I was in?

Duff

Bo, I'm with the other guys - YOU are OK, and the tractor, rugged beast that it is, will live to run another day. I feel your pain, literally and figuratively, but it will pass. Chin up, friend! You've got a whole lot of guys out here behind you!

Duff :thumbs2:

Operator

Bo like the guys say "As long as your ok" Tractor parts can be replaced. The engine will be ok too as long as it didn't run tooo long upside down.

I've rolled over a 110 Cub a couple times while mowing the same side hill and after scrambling out of the way and then shutting off the engine Cubby was always ok.

If you can't find a hood by you I do have one here, can't remember what model off hand.

Randy

Coadster32

Been there, and done that! I don't look at it as stupid, it was just your turn. Your all right, and that's what counts. I recall having a little tractor a few years back. I used to pop good wheelies with it, but never flipped it. Well, my buddy got on it, and I said, "don't worry, you can't flip this thing". You know what happened, he went over on a newly coated driveway, oil all over. The very next day, he was over my house, and I flipped it in the street. Oil out from everywhere again. The motor will be fine in your's I'm sure, but you might not live it down for a while to come.

porkchop

Hey Bo I,m glad your not hurt. I,m off wed.and thurs. your welcome to come over and help yourself to a hood and anything else I have that will help you fix the tractor. Last time I did something like that (ALCOHOL WAS INVOLVED)

bo dawg

Thank you guy's, I appreciate the kind words and concern. You guy's and this group is the best. :thumbs:

And as far as I can tell I'm good, just my back is sore as heck and stiff. I've been playing it over and over in my head (which I got to stop) you dont realize how far forward you bend when you're falling backwards. But yes I'm staying in the house and not going near the thing till tomorrow.

The engine didn't run long, as soon as I could pick myself up and get to it the engine quit on it's own, so I just turned the key off. Sounded like out of gas or just shut key off. I hope it's not hurt.

What happens in that situation? I've never had this happen before, do I just go and try starting it tomorrow? or do I need to check something before I try?

I guess for kicks I will get a pic of the hill to see. :thumbs2:

Raider

That's still a really nice tractor. Check the oil levels and don't worry about the rest until you feel better.

64s

Bo, I did the same thing. I have a 94 312-8 that sat for 9 years, cleaned everything up, got it running right and set out to 'see what it could do'. I had a mound of dirt out back and went up it half speed. The front end came over, I kicked off of the seat and landed on my butt, and luckily for the tractor - I broke its fall. The tractor survived with very minor cosmetic damage and I was black and blue on my left side for three weeks. Lesson learned - attack the hills from different angles!!!!!!

:thumbs2:

JimD

bo, we're all glad you're ok. the tractor can be fixed. it's just one of those things that happens for no apparent reason. rest up for a couple days, then take a look at it. i'm sure you'll get it straightened out in time. it sure could have been worse.

bo dawg

I might as well and show you guy's pic's of the bankment... right?

See at first it doesn't look that bad untill you try riding up it. What was I thinking, 47 years old going on 15 right? If I ever tell you I have an idea...just stop me. :thumbs2:

DSC01607.jpg

DSC01608.jpg

DSC01609.jpg

DSC01610.jpg

DSC01611.jpg

I really thought I saved it in the mist of the front coming up. I stalled it for just a moment and then it starting moving again, I must of hit the lever while lunging forward with my weight to keep it down. And then I don't know... it happen too fast, the only thing I could think of was where I was going to end up.

I'm not glad, that I'm not the only one here this has happen to. I hate to hear of anyone having this happen to them. Thanks again guy's.

:thumbs:

bo dawg

I forgot to say on the last pic I was showing the drain trench I carved out with the one bottom plow not too long ago with my other Charger 12. The accident happened at the highest point (middle 2 pics) you can see where the left rear dug into the dirt.

Its funny...I just put the set of ags on right before I took it out. The turf tires leaked air too bad that was originaly on it. Maybe if I left them on it might of started spinning and came back down the bank :thumbs2:

Michael Bullington

Hey bo, glad you are okay....Dont worry it happens to the best of us. Hope you arent to stiff tommorrow...and you should be able to get some parts to repair her back up like new.......... Since everyone is sharing there bad luck here is one of my crazy moves...I was at a show once that was having drag races in a field, So on my 855 i changed the front pully up to a 6" and put a string around the governor in case i needed more power ...Well have way down the track i needed more power ..At the end of the track my string got stuck around the deck raise lever and would not shut down its wide open...So at approx 35mph in panic mode i mash the brake pedal, well the one rear tire locked up and turned the nose directly into ground...I went flying about 20ft through the air away from the tractor as it slid to a stop on its side and nose ...the engine was still wide open and someone ran over and turn the key off,,,,After recovering and putting new oil in...it fired up and ran like a charm,,beleive it or not the tractor had no damage! But I sure was sore afterward!! I was just glad i cleared that deck lift lever..that would have hurt!

Good Luck

Red Iron

It seems some people learn the hard way NOT to do certain things

with our toys. I'm glad you got up and walked away, rather than

crawling on busted leg or worse. Bruises easier to take than broke

bones, better your tractor got the worst of it than you. Tractor can

be fixed easier than your body. Bummer your pride got dinged up,

you're OK!

Jerry

scifi4all

Nearly everything broken can be replaced or repaired ON A MACHINE! And anything that doesn't kill you, makes you think twice the next time.

You are not the first and won't be the last. My next door neighbor did it last Summer. His only saving grace was that he was bigger than the little John Deere he was mowing with, the blades were running when it went over, and that he may have been drinking a few before the incident.

Don't beat yourself up about it to much, nearly ten years ago I was just getting done snow blowing the slush, in the parking area in front of my home. The heavy slush just loaded up on the top of the snowblower, to the left and right of the chute. I had disengaged the blower every time before that to clean off the top if it got loaded up. The guard for the drive gear on the left was missing from before I purchased it and the tractor. I was standing on the right side of the blower, wearing heavy gloves wiping off the top, as I got near the belts I thought to myself "Better not get near those belts!" and I didn't. As I reached across the back of the chute I thought "Better not get near........."TO LATE!" that unguarded gear and chain." :thumbs2: My gloved left index finger went around the gear and I swore a blue streak that the neighbors had to hear. When I pulled the glove off the tip of my finger had pulled off the tip of the bone like the cap on a marker. I had to knock on the front door of my house and ask my wife for a towel and a doctor. :ychain: She had to drive through 9" of snow, 21 miles to the hospital in my brand new Jeep, which she had never gotten a chance to drive in the snow before(she wasn't happy!). It ended up a half inch short with a wicked, nasty nail.

Just be glad you didn't lose any pieces or worse. I'm glad to not be reading a post from someone else explaining that you had a worse ending to your landing.

Stick to the Ibuproen the next day or two and then work on the tractor. :thumbs:

TJ

Oh, the stories I could tell. :thumbs2:

Glad your alright.

Tom

Wilsonrl48747

Sometimes it hurts more to tell the wife than anything else, that look she can throw can say so many things..... <_< Glad you are ok.

Raider12

Most of us have done something like at some point or another. At least your ok? It's probably going to hurt more in the next couple days than it does right now. And I don't mean your body, I mean with the wife! :thumbs2: Been there done that! In looking at your tractor pics, lets shift the balme from you to the Ag tires? Had you had turf tires it would not have thrown you off. It may have spun the tire a bit! My tractor has been on it's hood before, and it was only been when I have the Ag's on.

bustedglass

OUCH .

Been there, done that. Mine flipped over on me, rolled a couple of times, and landed in a creek that was at the bottom of the hill :thumbs2: . Dis-located my shoulder, broke a couple of ribs, and a few cuts and bruises :ychain: . But, the horse was'nt hurt at all :thumbs: . My BIL dug it out of the creek a few days later, started it up, and drove it back to the house. After I healed, I cleaned it up, touched up the paint scratches, and started mowing. All I can say is, LONG LIVE THEM HORSES, and, BE CAREFUL .....

bo dawg

Don't mean to bring this thread back to the top.

But I just wanted to thank all of you for your kind words, thoughts, help, incouragement, and especially the stories some of you shared about your stunts. It made this thread interesting to read, you guy's are great! and this group is one of the best. :thumbs:

If you can't grab the bull by the horns then grab the Horse by the tail! :thumbs2:

:ychain:

Cleaverkid

Hey Bo...glad to hear you're ok! Like everyone else on here said, tractors can be repaired...bodies...maybe not!

I did the same thing 2 years ago with my 854, only I had a dozer blade hanging out the front, so you can imagine how much I had to "TRY" :thumbs2: to get her to flip straight backwards, but she did. Last thing I remember was seeing that dozer blade pointing at the sky and thinking "I really need to get off this thing" and exit stage left! Crushed the hood and ruined the steering wheel. But the good news (and I say this to encourage you) I used her to plow snow all winter the last two years after the flip. The only lasting issue is I, too, lost lots of oil and my carburetor really needs a rebuild now.

Good luck with the repairs!

CaptBob

bo dawg,

Sorry to hear about your busted Horse, don't beat yourself up about it compadre, stuff happens and we learn from it. I'll tell you the same thing I told my lovely wife of 31 years when she rolled our 2002 Explorer back in March...It's just a machine and machines can be replaced people can't. Explorer was trashed but she walked away from it with just a couple of minor cuts and bruises. She said it was like being in a fair ride but not as quite as pleasant due to all the broken glass swirling about n such. I had a 3 wheeler land on me back in the 80's in Alaska. I started up a steep embankment off a frozen river. Front wheel came off the ground, and the next thing I remember was a Honda Big Red laying on me. Durn thing dislocated my hip and wouldn't start again. had to ride 10 miles back up the river laying across back rack of my buddies 3 wheeler. He winched me n his bike up the embankment sos he could take me to the hospital. Hope your feeling better.

CaptBob

876wheelhorse

I am really surprised more people arent hurt with how light the front ends are on the short frames. My hydro if you accidently put in forward too fast the front wheels will go up. It is scary even loading these on the trailer or truck how light the fronts are.