I was 'forced' to wait until this coming Monday to get a dumpster set in the drive for my next major remodel so I decided to see if I could get the transmission opened up on the 854 I picked up at the show. For the past month I've been soaking the hitch pin and brake drum.
The brake drum was missing the retaining clip but was seized so bad it didn't need it. It fought me bad the entire way off the shaft but I finally got it.
For the first time ever I gave up on the hitch pin and cut it off. Fortunately it was seized on the hitch more that the case. The remains of the pin drove out fairly easy.
When I drained this it only had, at the most, about 1/4 cup of sludgy oil in it. I feared the worse for what I'd find but my fears didn't come true. It was in great condition including the inner teeth on the 3523 gear and all the bearings.
There was in/out play on the input shaft when the shifter was in the 3rd gear detents so I shimmed it to eliminate that. It had the first style shift rails so I replaced them with a second generation set with the flats to help with the suction thing. I didn't have a set of the newer style with the deeper neutral detent so I decided to settle with what I had. I but I want to get new case bolts. The ones I took out are pretty cruddy.